Thursday 28 April 2011

Qamea Island, Fiji

Getting to Fiji has probably topped the list for the worst journey yet, which consisted of a ten minute lift to Nadi town, a four hour cramped bus ride to Suva, a nineteen hour boat ride from Suva to Taveuni, a one hour min bus ride followed finally by a 30 minute boat ride. The nineteen hour boat ride was particularly bad, as it was a very old rusty boat with nowhere to lay down. It was infested with cockroaches, literally hundreds of them. At one point, I counted 17 on the wall next to my chair where our bags were. However, it was definitely worth the persistence as the island of Qamea and our resort Maqai Beach are beautiful.




It is the wet season currently in Fiji, pretty much every evening without fail it rains, but it's sunny during the day so that's all that matters. As it is the last leg of our trip we opted for a double room instead of sharing a dorm room with several other people. The little bungalow we have is set right on a pure white beach with crystal clear waters. It's quite a small place, the island is only 5kms around and it is very remote. Electricity is only on between 6-11pm then it's lights out (at which point they plug a laptop into a satellite phone for some internet!).





Today I went out on the boat with a few of the other guests who were surfing. I would have liked to give it ago myself, but yesterday I was swinging into the sea on a huge rope swing hanging from a palm tree and managed to land straight on a rock and injure myself. Nothing too serious, just badly bruised my foot, hopefully it will be alright in a couple of days. The best waves break quite far out away from shore near one of the reefs, a short boat ride away. My lens didn't have quite enough zoom to get good enough photos, so tomorrow I'm borrowing a zoom lens and going back out there with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment