Thursday 13 January 2011

Halong Bay

I've not been feeling too good today... what ever the temperature was outside last night, it was the same in our room thanks to the gaps in our balcony doors. At about 5:30am, I woke up only half under the duvet. I could feel the cold in my bones! Bring on the sun of Phuket.

We got up early this morning to get ready for our day trip to Halong Bay. The bus picked us up at about 8:15am, and after touring around the other hotels in the area to collect more tourists we were on our way. We arrived at about 12:30pm to Halong Harbourwhich was full of traditional looking 'Junk' boats.  The scenery in Halong Bay was similar to Tam Coc with the giant limestone mountains jutting vertically out of the sea, but even more magnificent, with it's 2000 islands.






We stopped at a small platform made from wood and floating barrels, that was selling various fish and even horse shoe crabs. After a quick visit there, we hopped back on the boat for a traditonal Vietnamese lunch... Rice, veg, squid, fish and soy sauce. Luckily I've learnt how to use chop sticks because they didn't have any forks! In true Vietnamese style, the locals have devised a way to get to the tourists out on the boats around the bay to try and sell them things. Generally it is a family on a smaller faster boat, that will come next to your boat, and the wife or children will jump on board like a pirate and try to sell you fruit (a.k.a Fruit Pirates!). The kids have no fear of the water what so ever, this tiny girl that was probably about 7 years old, jumped with her hands filled with fruit from one boat to ours (while moving!) and walked along the edge of the barrier which are designed to stop people falling in the water.



 Next stop, another small floating shack and the chance to get on a smaller boat through a couple of small caves that are cut off at high tide.



Our last stop before heading back to the harbour was some caves. This time, they were not in water, but higher up in the cliffs. It's about a 20 minute walk through the main cave which is illuminated with coloured lights, leading to a look out over one of the bays.



10 comments:

  1. Anonymous13/1/11 05:44

    I stumbled onto your blog, and it's fantastic! Great entries and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've changed my mind. These are my favourites, you're definitely really developing a strong style, a nice mixture of detail and scene. Good stuff.
    Loving the shot from the boat and the last one of the funky little mountain things in the water. Must be awesome to be there.

    When are you heading to Phuket? That's Malaysia right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad that new people are starting to enjoying my blog. When I made it I really only intended it to be a way of keeping my friends and family updated, so it's nice that other people are interested. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Jimbo, I like these ones too. I think my style in changing because I have no photoshop and can't edit the raw files so these are straight Jpegs from my camera. A couple in previous posts I used a program called toy camera, but I'm trying to keep all of my photos un tounched. Just got in to Phuket last night, it's an island is southern Thailand. So nice to be back in the heat! No wi-fi though, so I'm sat in Starbucks at the mo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! Sounds awesome man. When you're back we should look at creating a book from you photos. I can help you out with the layout design if you like!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking of doing that! That would be cool, cheers mate

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is great blog, real experience of Halong bay tours, thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's a memorable tour! hope you will introduce your friends to Vietnam

    ReplyDelete
  9. hope you will introduce Vietnam as well as Halong Bay to your friends

    ReplyDelete
  10. Halong Bay is one of my fave places in North Vietnam… the seascape is so beuatiful, I just wish though that the water becomes clearer and cleaner…

    ReplyDelete