Wednesday 29 December 2010

Arrived in Hoi An

Last night we took the sleeper coach to Hoi An, a quick 12 hour drive north. I still find these coach trips funny... the seats on this one were pretty much beds. Well, they were seats, but they were permanently reclined. Your feet would tuck into a little compartment under the backrest of the passenger in front. God knows whose feet they were designed for because I have size 9's and they were too big for the gap, even with my shoes off. At about 9pm we were on a coastal road which was a cliff edge, with a tiny little barrier between us and a 100ft drop. The roads were very windy and busy with slow moving lorries carrying stone and timber, our driver clearly had a screw loose and was regularly overtaking around blind bends. Needless to say, this in combination with an uncomfortable seat didn't make for a very good nights sleep. I ended up playing solitare on my ipod to take my mind of what was happening.

We phoned our hotel when we arrived in Hoi An, and they told us to take a taxi and that the cost would be covered by them, which was a nice surprise! The hotel is really nice and clean, and feels quite traditional with all the decoration they have dotted around the building, it also has a great view of a temple out front. On arrival we were greeted with cinnamon tea, bananas and hand towels to freshen up after our coach journey.









It was about 7:30am and the people in our room hadn't checked out, giving us a few hours to kill so we left our bags with reception and took a walk around Hoi An. We stopped for some breakfast at a cafe, it wasn't the best breakfast we've had in Vietnam, but it was one of the only places open at that time. After we had finished eating, we were chilling out having a coffee when a dog from the bakery over the road payed us a visit. He was trying to jump up on me and chew my shorts which was quite annoying, I think he is a spoilt dog and just wanted a lap to sleep on.

















I had my suit made in Nha Trang because a tailors there really stood out and would be easier then having to choose one of the 500 tailors in Hoi An. However, when we jumped off the bus this morning the battery on my phone was dead, a nice lady there lent us her phone if we promised to drop into her tailors. Later on after breakfast we bumped into her and went to have a look at her shop. Both me and Izzy were surprised at how good the quality was and how much was on offer.

To cut a long story short, I've ordered another suit. The suit made in Nha Trang is quite thick and will be good for winter, so I have asked these tailors to make me a thinner suit, using a wool, cashmere and silk blend on the outer with pure silk lining for £65. Isabella also ordered a couple of bits, so I'm looking forward to seeing how everything will turn out.

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading through your blog, pretty much since when you started in Bangkok, really love it. I like the way you add personal remarks as well as really valuable travel tips. I am dreaming about traveling to Asia and your 2 blogs (yours as well as Isabella's) are quite an inspiration. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I'm glad you are enjoying both of our blogs, we are planning on keeping them going until we get home in May. Thanks and good luck with your trip.

    ReplyDelete